Thursday, November 23, 2006

Onsen Fun (aka The Vacation of Weiners o' Plenty)


So, for anyone who was wondering, the onsen trip was really fun. We went to a place in Japan called Gunma, which is full of mountains. The place we stayed at had a great view of a forrest and a mountain. The hotspring was pretty nice. There was one inside and one outside. The one inside was hotter, and you didn't have to walk naked outside right after rinsing your body off (aka while you're wet) as the wind whips through all the crevices you never knew you had, but the one outside had an awesome view of the mountain. Also, you could sit in the onsen outside while it was raining and it would feel unexpectedly great. All in all, the onsen itself was quite relaxing. The stay at the onsen was quite a different story.

Going out with your Japanese coworkers automatically means you must drink with them. Not just a little bit either. You start the trip on a bus drinking. Then you get to the Ryokan (traditional Japanese hotel usually with its own onsen) and drink. Then you have a dinner/party and drink. Finally you go to your room and invite half the staff and drink. Too much. But it was fun.

On another note, I think I got really sick from something I ate because for the next few days my intestines didn't feel like turning the waste products from the food I ate into anything resembling anything solid. I hope that was vague enough to not gross everyone out. I was hoping that some of the teachers would email me some pictures they took with their digital cameras, but instead I was given a bunch of printed out pictures. I'll work on getting some of the pictures of this trip in a format that I can send.

No comments: