Monday, October 2, 2006

First Day at Miyauchi Junior High

Today I started at Miauchi JHS. I had an interesting experience there. I got there and was fine, but as soon as I went into the teacher's room, I began to sweat profusely. Why? Oh yeah. Because they had the heat turned up because they didn't just ride a bike into work. I had to go out into the halls so that I could regulate my temperature. Eventually, I cooled off enough so that the room felt alright.
A quick point about living in Japan. I think I should get used to giving speeches. In Japan they don't like to give you prep time for speeches, so I think that one should always approach a situation expecting to give a speech. I got to give a speech to the whole school in Japanese with a good 20 minutes notice. It's too bad that the 20 minute notice was actually 3 minutes because I had to go to the gym (about 2 minutes) and listen to someone else speak for 15. So with the 3 minutes of prep time, I had no speech. I got to make it up while waiting for the other speech to end. That's some pressure. And let me tell you, when I get put into a pressure situation, I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS fail as hard as I can. My speech probably made the student body ask themselves, "Why is there a retarded person addressing all of us?". At least I got to start off with the impression I wanted to give. "Yep. I'm the grinning idiot who's here to teach you English. Let's have fun."
Besides my horrible speech, I had some other wierd experinces. In one class I had two first year boys harass me for a kiss. I was like, "Huh? What's the matter with you?". Oh well. Wierd kids will be wierd kids. I'm also improving the strength of the eyes in the back of my head. If I don't, one of those two will try to grab my butt. It's freakin' wierd. Also, I was randomly stopped in the halls by two first year girls and they told me, "You have a beautiful face". I thought that was strange too.
Oh yeah. Did I mention beforehand that the teachers at Higashi JHS (my previous school) said that this school's student body was more classy and refined then the students at their school? Yeah....I don't think so. They may be smarter, but they are just as energetic and wierd if not more so.
Finally, to end my day, the coach of the soccer club asked me to coach the team. I guess that after school I will be coaching a bunch of soccer players. That should be fun. Maybe I can get into running shape as well as cycling shape. I think that cycling mostly strenghtens your quads, so if you don't strengthen your hammies, you're likely to pull or tear them. I think soccer should help balance that out. Hopefully. I guess that remains to be seen. Eventful day. Good diary entry. It's raining again. Suprise suprise.

No comments: