Saturday, October 7, 2006

Shopping at the Kitamoto Mall

Ok. Today's forecast, strong winds with a slight chance of crashing into poles. So I went to a local mall-esque structure (It has an electronics store, a clothing store, a drug store, a supermarket, a sports store, and a golf store. Not much of a mall, but it's the best I've got here). I went into Yamada Denki, the electronics store, to check out their stuff. As I was browsing, I noticed the most rediculous thing I've seen in a while. There was a rice cooker. Apparently it is not just any rice cooker though. It must be the greatest rice cooker of all time. I don't know what special features it has, but one must be building the owner's self esteem. I say this because I know it wasn't made of gold or platinum and yet it cost around $700. That's right. About a month and a half of rent from me could buy that rice cooker. I want to sit in that store and wait to see who buys the $700 rice cooker, mostly because I would give them the rectal punch (aka buttuppercut) of their lifetime. Then I would try to sell them a $50 bottle of water.
Anywho, after that, I went to the Uni Qlo. Uni Qlo is pretty much like a Gap but I can't call it the Gap of Japan, because Japan has Gap stores too. But Uni Qlo is totally the Gap of Japan. I went through the bargan bins and ended up getting 3 shirts for under $6. I also bought a 3 pack of white undershirts for work and some warm gloves for when it gets chilly and I have to ride my bike. Grand total for 6 shirts and some gloves: 2,560 Yen (about $23). Not too bad in my opinion.
After that I went to the sports store to check out what they had. I found out they have tons of camping stuff, so I'm gonna ask some teachers where I can go camping and go camping sometime. There are aparently many good camping spots in Japan and you don't need permits or anything to camp which is convenient. Anyway, I ended up buying some tennis shoes to be my indoor shoes at my school. Now, if any students invite me to participate in their sports club, I have the proper equipment to oblige them. I also bought a new rain jacket because my other one only likes to work for 20 minutes max. Then it decides to let water seep through and get me soaked. Not so fun I tell you. Anyway, this new one is tephlon coated, so water just slides right off. I ran the kitchen sink over it and water cannot stick to it at all. It went from having water run over it to dry immediately. Crazy.
Ok. After that I rode my bike back home. The fun thing was that my shopping bags acted like miniature sails, causing me to inadvertantly turn my bike at inopprotune times. One of those times almost sent me into a pole, but luckly I only ended up hitting my hand on it rather than running my bike into it. I really fail at not hurting myself, but what's new? After I got back to my apartment I ended up seeing my Principal's wife and she invited me over for some tea. My principal was out buying some roofing for their parking spot, came back, and then realized the stuff he bought was too short. Oh well, I guess I'm not the only one who fails. I offered to help him put up the roofing, so tomorrow I am going to be putting a roof together. Should be fun.

No comments: