Sunday, December 24, 2006

Touring around Gunma

On Friday (the 22nd), right after work, I headed out to Gunma to meet up with Caroline. I don't remember what we did, but I know we eventually ended up going to a really good Brazilian food place. I neither know how to describe the food, nor wish to try because just thinking of it is making my mouth water, so describing it in detail would be painful. Let's just say it was really really really really good.

After the Brazilian food, we headed back to the station. Unfortunately, we missed the train by a few minutes, so we had some time to kill before the next one would arrive. We took this time to stamp our faces with the giant stamp people use to mark where they've traveled. I'm sure we looked quite ridiculous.

Evenutally, the train came and we headed back to Kiryu*. That ride was full of shenanigans which culminated in me becoming my alter ego. The stamps we had applied looked like blush, so my transformation would be easily completed. It was the perfect time to become Gay Hitler. I made a hitler moustache out of an old train ticket and some gum, and VUALA! Presto chango!...enjoy the picture.

The next day we headed back to Kitamoto. I had to carry around a chair that looked like a giant computer key that says "sit". It was one of my Christmas gifts from Caroline, and we had to transport it from Gunma...a two hour train ride away from Kitamoto. Before we left Kiryu, we met up with one of Caroline's coworkers and her two daughters at Denny's. There, I was encouraged to act behave like a child. Apparently Caroline's coworker found my immaturity so endearing she planned a trip to Tokyo Disneyland for all of us.

Eventually we left Denny's and said our goodbyes, then continued to the station to catch a train to Kitamoto. The ride was more interesting than normal because we were looking after a gigantic computer key. I was also introduced to the refreshing aroma of fisausages on this trip. Mmmmmm....yum. When we got back to Kitamoto, I saw a bunch of my students who gave me the WTF? look. I'm sure they think I'm crazy.

*as a sidenote, saying Kiryu sounds just like "kill you", so it's fun to say to people, "I'm going to Kiryu" and see if they react like you threatened their life.